After the great SKYWARN spotter class, I came home determined to get that coax fed out the small window in my basement room outside. I ran into a problem though: there is a screen over the window that is not removable. It’s made out of rather thick metal screening and it would take a Sawzall to cut through it. I don’t want to do that since I won’t be here permanently so I’m back to the drawing board with it. I’m sure I can figure out something.
Speaking of radios, I’ve decided I want to buy myself an ICOM IC-7200 to take with me to go out into the woods. I’ll probably wind up selling my IC-706MKII to cover part of the cost. I still like my IC-735 too much to get rid of it quite yet. It’s a reliable old radio with a nice audio punch to it.
I’m off to the spotter class. I’m looking forward to it as I always enjoy the classes. Then when I get home, it’s time to run the coax and test out the HTX-242! It’s supposed to be 62° and sunny so it’ll be a great day to be outside just as long as my toe doesn’t remind me it’s still hurting…
For those of you who are nearby, the National Weather Service with District 7 SKYWARN will be holding a SKYWARN spotter training class at Northeast State’s theater tomorrow at 10 AM. I will be there as your Washington County coordinator—just look for me in my bright orange SKYWARN polo shirt!
It’s been a productive day for me concerning ham radio. Since my toe is still healing from minor surgery, I decided to just stick around the house tonight. I made up a 30′ RG-8U coax cable to connect from my basement room up to the outdoor antenna switch that I’m setting up that will allow both my dad and I to share his SuperLoop 80 antenna. I regretted not finding my Weller 100W soldering gun and having to make do with a 25W soldering pencil. It took twice as long to get the PL-259s soldered on.
I also fixed the SO-239 connector on a Radio Shack HTX-242 2 meter mobile rig that I might be purchasing. It wasn’t a hard fix but I was sure wishing for a large pair of “helping hands” to hold the coax still while I fixed the connector.
Both projects will hopefully be tested tomorrow.
I decided that I wanted to have a blog again and instead of making this website static like it has for many years now, I installed WordPress and am quite happy with it. This will make things a lot easier to deal with when updating the site!